Thursday, November 23, 2006

Western vs Indian Materialism

I find that in India we (upper middle class) aspire for money as a symbol of status, of possession... in the West, materialism is a means of ending the drugery of work...the car, washing machine, the printing press are all attempts to reduce work. Thus materialism there is a force behind innovation, but here it is a goal in itself. A result is that most IT workers are are going towards fat salaries that lets them buy houses and spend in Shopping malls....but not focusing on innovation or doing new stuff.
I say this after seeing the Foss. IN conference schedule. I feel I sold my soul to Application software for money. What challenges and makes you grow is not always what pays more. Going faster in the wrong direction eventually takes your career to a dead end.

No comments: